This homemade Poppyseed Dressing recipe is quick, easy and healthy! This tangy dressing is perfect for drizzling on top of all kinds of salad! Best of all this recipe only takes 2 minutes, a handful of ingredients and can be shaken up and stored in the same mason jar!
See how to make this dressing in a jar in our quick How To video & be sure to check out some of our favorite serving suggestions below.
For another great dressing recipe, make our Fig and Balsamic Vinaigrette!
Ingredients for This Recipe
This Poppy Seed Salad Dressing is made with just a few common ingredients. It's a simple recipe that makes a tasty dressing that you'll love just as much as the bottled stuff!
- Greek Yogurt - This recipe gets it's creamy mouthfeel and tangy flavor from yogurt! Make sure to use plain, unsweetened yogurt.
- Honey - Instead of white sugar, we opted to use honey as a natural sweetener. Add more, or less, honey to adjust the sweetness to your personal preferences.
- White Wine Vinegar - Not distilled white vinegar! White wine vinegar adds a nice zippy bite to this sweet poppy seed vinaigrette! Champagne vinegar is a fine substitute.
- Dijon Mustard - We like to use a nice coarse ground mustard for this recipe.
- Grape Seed Oil - For homemade salad dressing, we usually like to use grape seed oil. It has a nice neutral flavor and lots of Vitamin E! You can also substitute avocado oil, olive oil or even vegetable oil.
- Poppy Seeds - The star of the show! Poppy seeds has a subtle nutty flavor and satisfying little crunch! They look beautiful, and are a great source of protein, calcium and fiber. They can even aid in digestion! Just don't eat them before a drug test! As part of the poppy family, these seeds can contain trace amount of opium compounds.
How To Make Poppy Seed Dressing
This Poppyseed Salad dressing recipe could not be any easier! Simply throw all of the ingredients into a jar, seal the lid and give it a good shake! Viola! Tangy honey Poppy Seed Dressing is ready to serve with your favorite salad recipe!
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing is one of my absolute favorite dressings for salads with fresh fruit. In fact, we originally published this recipe with our Winter Citrus and Fennel Salad. This salad has spinach, fennel, arugula, red onion and lots of fresh citrus fruits. The homemade Poppyseed Dressing is the perfect companion! However, this recipe can pair great with tons of other salads, too! Here are a few of out favorite salads to serve with this recipe:
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with Avocado
- Apple, Bacon & Romaine Lettuce Salad
- Chicken Salad with Grapes and Almonds - This homemade dressing recipe can be used for more than just green salads! Try a healthy, creamy version of chicken salad using this dressing in place of mayonnaise.
- Kale Salad with Goat Cheese, Cranberries & Pecans
- Pasta Salad - Try this dressing on pasta salad with grilled chicken, walnuts and feta cheese!
Saving & Storing
This delicious dressing recipe makes a good amount of dressing - enough for sharing on a really big salad or for drizzling on top of green salads all week long. Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing can be made ahead of time for meal prep or easy entertaining.
Store leftover dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 - 5 days. We store our creamy dressing directly in the mason jar we made it in. While refrigerating, it's natural for some of the ingredients to separate over time. Shake well to emulsify before each use.
You May Also Like...
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
Creamy Poppyseed Dressing (To Share, About 1 Cup)
- ½ Cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1½ Tablespoons Dijon mustard coarse ground
- 1 Tablespoon honey or more for a sweeter dressing
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons grapeseed oil or avocado or olive oil
- 1½ Tablespoons poppy seeds
- fine kosher salt* to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Greek Yogurt plain
- 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard coarse ground
- 1 teaspoon honey or more for a sweeter dressing
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil or avocado or olive oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon poppy seeds
- fine kosher salt* to taste
- Gather, measure and prepare the Creamy Poppyseed Dressing ingredients as listed. (The one serving portion can be made in a small 4 ounce jar or tupperware container.)
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and secure with a tight fitting lid. Shake well, about 30 seconds, until combined. Serve on your favorite salads immediately or store in the refrigerator for 4 - 5 days. Enjoy!
* A Note About Salt
Unless otherwise noted, all recipes on The Sage Apron are developed using Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. It is a great all-purpose salt for cooking and baking. If using table salt, reduce quantities by about half.